Friday 15 May 2009

Adventures in Pancetta

Not as local or organic as I might usually enjoy, but a fabulous meal none the less.

Stuffed Pasta Shells w/ Pancetta & Spinach

At a local European deli I purchased two slices of Pancetta, and asked them to put the meat slicer on the thickest setting possible. At home I cut the pieces up into cubes which I sautéed with onions (note: oil wasn't required because of the fat in the pancetta).

Also prepared a mixture of blanched spinach, which was a local/organic variety I'd frozen last fall. Mix with ricotta cheese. Add the pancetta/onion mixture and season to taste. Fresh parsley can't hurt at this point.

Pre-boiled the extra large pasta shells, but left them very al dente. Not only did it make handling them easier, but they'll cook longer in the oven. Let the shells cool, take your fabulous new ricotta/pancetta/spinach mixture and spoon them into the shells. Don't forget to lick both your fingers and the bowl when done.

Place the filled shells into a casserole dish. I topped mine with homemade herbed local/organic stewed tomatoes, freshed grated mozzerella cheese, and fresh basil leaves. Season to taste.

Baked in the oven around 350*F until the cheese is melted, but before you drool too much from the fabulous smells. I highly recommend eating some of the fried pancetta just on it's own as a reward for your hard work.

The results:



So good.... slightly sinful, but who cares?

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, that looks delicious. I'll definitely be trying that soon. :D

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment.