Thursday 9 July 2009

Market fun and a Strawberry-Gooseberry Jam

Today we went to the St Jacobs Farmer's Market, the first time I've been to one of their Thursday markets. We wandered in and lunch time and it was crazy busy, I was absolutely taken aback by how *many* people there were. We prayed to the Goddess of Parking, and did a little careful watching for people getting into their car (or minivan in this case) and found an excellent spot close to the vendors.

We did as we usually do, and made a bee-line for our favourite mushroom vendor. We picked up some portabellos (mostly for the BBQ) and crimini. Did I mention we're in a CSA this year (community supported agriculture program) and we're getting veggie baskets weekly? And yet we still need more ;)

Eventually we made our way over to where most of the old-order Mennonites vend and found gooseberries for sale. Being the brave local-food-adventurer that I am, I bought the bigger of the two sizes of baskets. I've been pretty much buying any local foods as they come in season this year, then coming home and doing some research about them, tasting them, and making a recipe out of them.

One of the things I learned about gooseberries is that they are high in pectin. So, I made:

Strawberry-Gooseberry Jam

2 cups Strawberries
2 cups gooseberries (roughly chopped)
1.5 cups of sugar (or to taste, I like a tart flavour)

In a pot, cook fruit on medium until very soft (maybe 10 minutes?)
Note: You can use either fresh or frozen berries. Gooseberries freeze best whole.

As usual with my recipes this is approximate cooking measurements, I did it by taste.

Fabulous, small batch of jam. Yum yum yum.

Incidentally, we got some of the last garlic scapes and asperagus of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Leave a comment.