Monday 16 November 2009

My current autumn staple

I love apples. One of the wonderful things about autumn is all of the apple products that show up in the local markets again. From tart to sweet, green to red, apples are a staple of Ontario autumns.

I bought seven pounds of Honeycrisps last week. It's a type of apple I am still fairly new to eating this type of apple, and the taste is simply delicious. They are an apple's apple! With McIntosh's and Honeygolds in their family tree, someone's taken the time to create what is (for me) a perfect tasting apple.

This week's favourite way to serve this apple - in apple sauce.

The night before work I make up my lunch and snacks for that day. I've been making apple sauce from putting two honeycrisp apples, a dash of cinnamon and a splash of lemon juice into my magic bullet. It saves well for about two or so days and may brown a bit, but the lemon juice helps to preserve it.

My second favourite apple dish of the season - apple crisp.

There are as many apple crisp recipes out there as there are the people that bake them. My very basic apple crisp involves chopping apples for the base which I may or may not lightly coat in sugar first (I opt out if trying to cut back on sugar). For my quick apple crisp I use 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of brown sugar (can cut back to 1/4 for a lighter option), 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour 1/4 of butter. I mix my crumble by hand, religiously, then spread over the top and bake at 200C for 40mins. I'll also try baking it at a higher temperature (maybe 240C?) for about half the time, then shutting the heat off and allowing the ambient heat to do the rest.

Mmm. Apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Leave a comment.