Sunday 22 November 2009

Soup for a sicky

Although we're relatively healthy, the flu caught up with my husband. At this point I am praying to just about every god I can that I don't get it, since he spent the entire night and part of today physically expressing his illness (so to speak... the least I can do is to be polite since this is supposed to be about food).

It started when we were out of town, and it's funny how powerless I felt to help him without my kitchen nearby. I know the healing power of food and herbs.

Finally when we came home, I made a soup that would nourish my husband and settle his stomach, and as well would boost both of our immune systems.

I added two cartons of organic chicken broth, one and a half BULBS of garlic (and if I had more I might have used it), a large handful of fresh parsley (chopped). To it I added about 2 tsp of fennel seeds in a tea diffuser. The whole thing was cooked for quite a while. I had a few cupfuls and he's had some which was finely strained.

There is magic in cooking, and there is energy in all the foods we eat. I think it's an excellent compliment for any foodie to have some working knowledge not only about the taste but of the medicinal values of many herbs/foods.

1 comment:

  1. Update... I did get sick. And OH MY have I been sick. Was finally able to eat a strained serving of this soup broth today. It's hitting the spot and my stomach seems ok with it. So thankful I made a batch before I got ill too.

    We made this batch go quite far too. Over the two days since I've made it, we've added more broth and cooked it down a bit more.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment.