Sunday 2 June 2013

Bacon. Butter. Tart.

It's a bit overdue, but I've meant to post about this monstrously delicious treat we had last month.


Butter tart, meet Bacon. 


I know it's trendy to put bacon into just about everything now, but I'm still exploring the world of bacony sweets. Always enjoyed the taste of bacon when, in a morning breakfast, it would mix with some maple syrup. I've added maple syrup when its cooked before to carmelize it. Yet still, I would never have considered adding it to a butter tart!

We were visiting the Green Living Show in Toronto this April when we tasted these fabulous treats from Madelyn's Diner (Stratford, Ontario).

One of my favourite part of the Green Living Show is the food vendors! We discover something new every year we go. We've bought so many delicious snacks, sauces and goodies there. Many of the vendors have samples available, and it's allowed us to try some really interesting things - from sweets to super foods to vegan entrees.

This year we found a large bag of fairly local (Peterborough?) hemp seeds which were super fresh. We'd been eating the ones bought from a bulk section. These fresh, refridgerated seed are delicious!! In hindsight I wish we'd bought another bag. We eat them every day on oatmeal and add them to salads. And since most items are on a show special, we got them for a better price than we'd been buying the stale ones at.

There is also a food court, with foods and drinks from several local regions. We always buy a handful of tickets and try a few different treats. This is where we found out bacon butter tarts. We ordered one each to take home.

It was.... good! Odd, but good. I'm still not convinced bacon should be in sweet treats, but it's remarkably delicious. The pieces of bacon were thick enough to really keep their definition, otherwise I'd worry that they would begin to meld into the mushiness of the filling. The actual sweet filling for me was slightly too sweet, but it didn't sound like that was an issue for my hubby with a sweet tooth.

My stomach did not thank me later, however. Between the sugar and fats, this is definitely a once in a blue moon kind of treat. Kind of a novelty food, really.

But - bacon. So it's a win.


1 comment:

  1. Had one of Madelyn's Bacon Butter Tarts (at Madelyn's in Stratford) in early July. I couldn't believe how delicious it was. I took my first taste, and ate the rest every so slowly -- to savor every morsel.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment.