Thursday 6 June 2013

Dehydrated Tomatoes

Just a quick update about the dehydrated tomatoes we recently made.


Tonight I put a generous cup or so into the Magic Bullet and it powdered up beautifully! Obviously I've got them dry enough. What struck me was the smell, it almost smelled like the intense tomato smell you get when you've simmered some down for a while.

I added water to it bit by bit until I had a nice thick tomato sauce, and all the dehydrated tomatoes had enough water to rehydrate. Added seasoning/herbs right to the mix as I blended it.

The result was a great tomato sauce that I've used for a casserole. It was so fresh and delicious I could have eaten it the way it was. I would assume that if I kept adding water I could have made a cold tomato soup with it.

I'm definitely dehydrating tomatoes as much as I can over the summer. Not only will it be a great addition to camp foods, but to our cooking over the winter and early spring when the fresh tomatoes are hard to find locally.

We bought a few more trays for the dehydrator. I'm wondering how many I can add to the tower before the air just can't get around everything effectively?

2 comments:

  1. I need your help! How long do mushrooms last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment.