Wednesday 5 August 2009

Lemon-Cilantro salad dressing

Since we've joined the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture - we get weekly veggie baskets) we've had a lot of vegetables to get through. That means, lots of salad!

About a year or so ago we stopped buying salad dressings entirely, and started making our own. Vinegrettes are fairly straight forward, and as a kid we usually made our own. But we get tired of the same old vinegrette, so I tend to play around with ingredients. Some are hit, some are miss.

Tonight, a hit.

Lemon-Cilantro salad dressing
1/3 cup of your oil of choice
1 large lemon
generous handful of freshly cut cilantro
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

I minced the garlic a few days ahead of time. I minced a lot of garlic one night, used what I needed to, and stored the rest in a local peanut oil, in the fridge. Homemade minced garlic has a great flavour and was an excellent boost to the dressing.

As for oils, I used a local peanut, with a not-so-local olive oil. And yes, the lemon wasn't local either. My mother had brought a couple by recently when we had dinner and drinks. This was literally a salad dressing made out of things in the fridge and fresh herbs from the garden.

I finely chopped the cilantro and had a huge pile of it. Trying to find an easy way to handle the lemon, first I peeled it, then through it into my handy Tupperware "Quick chef", then strained out the seeds and (most of) the pulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Leave a comment.