Saturday 15 August 2009

The veggies are growing, the veggies are growing!

I've been working on growing a small vegetable & herb garden in our tiny backyard this year. I'm growing five kinds of heritage tomatoes, two kinds of eggplants, zucchinis, two types of peppers, parsley root, broccoli, etc.

It's been such a soggy year here this summer. Almost nothing has actually ripened and what started as an amazing growing season is turning into a late harvest. I've taken one zucchini out of my garden so far, although plenty of herbs.

We've had a bout of hot weather, finally. Suddenly it looks like everything wants to grow again. I have tomatoes on at least three plants, and am hoping the sun and heat will get them to start to ripen. I finally have a cayenne pepper growing, and plenty of flowers on both pepper plants. And an eggplant is growing! I'm very much looking forward to harvesting some more food from my garden soon.

The zucchinis are struggling, although still growing like mad. I have a mildew problem that I am attempting to beat with a chamomile infusion. One of the zucchini plants is also displaying blossom rot, so we've recent ground up some egg shells and added to the soil. *fingers crossed*

In better news, my small ground cherry seedling has bloomed into a strong plant with a lot of fruit on it. It gets plenty of sun, so I am sure we'll get a decent yield from it. And, I have cucumbers growing! One is quite large now and I am sure we'll be eating it this week.

Still, with all the work that's been involved with the garden this year, it's been completely fulfilling. The one zucchini we ate tasted amazing. Something about the taste of something you've worked hard and grown yourself. Also, the view out our patio doors is fantastic, all lush and green and symbolic of all the work I've done out there. Working in the garden is hard, but I always feel refreshed and accomplished.

It's been great slowly turning my thumb from black to green.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Leave a comment.