Monday 19 January 2009

Asparagus & mushroom quiche in a brown rice crust

I recently made this dish for my husband and it was a huge hit. I made it with leftover brown rice after making a lot of it the night before for a stir fry. It was an easy meal to make after work, and I felt better making the crust rather than buying a pre-made store bought one.

Brown Rice Crust
* 1-2 cups cooked brown rice
* 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese
* splash of milk
* 1 egg (optional)
Mix the Parmesan, brown rice and milk. You can add a beaten egg to the mixture if you'd like it to hold together better, but I tend to leave it out since it's holding an egg dish. Spray or lightly grease pie pan. Press the mixture firmly into pie pan, forming a crust. Preheat oven to 425 and bake the crust for 10 - 14mins

Asparagus/Mushroom Quiche
* 3 eggs or substitue
* 1 cup milk
* 4 - 5 spears asparagus (cut into 1" pieces)
* handful of mushrooms (whatever is local)
* 1/2 chopped small onion or 3-4 chopped shallots
* 2-3 tbsp old cheddar cheese, shredded
Lightly steam the asparagus pieces. Saute onion or shallots in butter until slightly brown. Add mushrooms of your choice, then asparagus and saute for a few minutes. Do not overcook. Put mixture into the crust and add shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Mix eggs with milk, pour into quiche. Bake 10 minutes for 425 degrees, lower to 350 degrees for 30 minutes longer.

2 comments:

  1. oh my gawd

    sounds scrum... remind me to type up and send you my roasted veggie and feta phillo roll

    it's amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've never really used a lot of phyllo!! mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment.