Saturday 17 January 2009

Weekend food hunt

My neighbours, my husband and I went out looking for local, and organic (or all-natural) foods today. Someone jokingly said something about how we were out "hunting and gathering" our food. It made me think.

When I go shopping for my food at a large chain grocery store, I feel really removed from the food that I am buying. I have no idea where most of them were grown. In fact, a lot of the foods I buy from there come from farther than I've ever travelled to. I'm disconnected from the farmers who've produced it, the land it was grown on, and indeded the food itself.

So off we went, from store to store around the area, hunting and gathering for our foods. We went to Organic Oasis, Pfennings Organic, Grainharvest bakery and Our Farmer Choice.

What did I find? Locally grown organic garlic, onions, and local organic oats, horseradish, milk & chocolate milk. Organic romaine lettuce, kale, kabocha squash, bananas (fair trade), roasted red peppers, zucchini, raisins, dried apples, tea, snacks, All natural & local rye buns, 7 grain bread, smoked pork chops, stuffed pork, inside round roast, fresh bacon, fresh farm eggs and pepperettes.

Mmmm... tasty treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Leave a comment.